In this manual :
1. What is NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum and what is it used for?
2. What should I know before taking NICOTINELL FRESH TEETH 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum?
3. How should I take NICOTINELL FRESH MINTS 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum?
4. What are the possible side effects?
5. How do I keep NICOTINELL FRESH MINT 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum?
6. Additional information.
1. WHAT IS NICOTINELL FRESH MINT 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum AND WHAT IS IT USED FOR?
NICOTINELL FRESH TEETH 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum contains nicotine, a tobacco substance.
NICOTINELL FRESH MINT 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum is part of a line of medications designed to help you quit smoking.
The nicotine is released slowly and then absorbed by mouth each time you chew the gum.
This medicine is indicated for the treatment of tobacco dependence in order to relieve the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal in subjects wishing to stop smoking.
Appropriate treatment improves the chances of success in quitting smoking.
2. WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE TAKING NICOTINELL 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum
List of information needed before taking the medicine
Do not take NICOTINELL FRESH TEA MINT 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum in the following cases:
- If you are not a smoker,
- If you are allergic to nicotine or to any of the excipients contained in NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR 2 mg.
In case of doubt, it is essential to ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Precautions for use; special warnings
Take care with NICOTINELL FRESH MINT 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum
Consult your doctor or pharmacist in case of:
- cardiovascular disease, e.g. myocardial infarction, heart failure, angina pectoris, Prinzmetal's angina, heart rhythm disorder,
- history of stroke,
- high blood pressure,
- circulatory problems,
- liver or kidney failure,
- thyroid disease (hyperthyroidism),
- diabetes (monitor your blood sugar more often at the beginning of treatment as it may be altered),
- pheochromocytoma(adrenal gland disease leading to severe high blood pressure)
- inflammation of the mouth or throat, esophagitis, gastritis, ulcer of the stomach or duodenum,
- fructose intolerance.
Nicotine in small amounts is dangerous for children and can cause severe symptoms or death. For this reason, it is imperative that NICOTINELL FRESH MINT Gum be kept out of the reach and sight of children.
If denture wearers have difficulty chewing the gum, it is recommended to stop the treatment and use another pharmaceutical form. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Interactions with other medicines
Taking or using other medicines:
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicine, even if it is a medicine obtained without a prescription. If you quit smoking and are taking other medications, your doctor may want to adjust the dosage.
There are no data on possible interactions between NICOTINELL FRESH MINT, chewing gum and other medicines. However, substances in cigarettes other than nicotine may affect some medicines.
Stopping smoking may affect the action of some medicines, for example:
- theophylline (a drug used to treat asthma)
- tacrine (a drug used to treat Alzheimer's disease),
- olanzapine and clozapine (drugs used to treat schizophrenia),
- insulin (a drug used to treat diabetes).
May require dosage adjustment.
Interactions with food and drink
Food and Beverage
Consumption of coffee, acidic and carbonated beverages (sodas) may decrease the absorption of nicotine and should be avoided for 15 minutes before chewing gum.
Interactions with herbal products or alternative therapies
Use during pregnancy and lactation
It is very important to stop smoking during your pregnancy as it may lead to stunted growth of your child or even prematurity or fetal death. Ideally, you should try to stop smoking without taking medication. If this fails, NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR may be recommended to help you. The risk to the fetus is probably lower than that of smoking. Nicotine in any form can harm your child. NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR may be taken only after consulting your doctor who is following your pregnancy or a doctor who specialises in smoking cessation.
NICOTINELL FRESH TEETH GUM, like smoking, should be avoided while breast-feeding because nicotine passes into breast milk.
If your doctor recommends that you use NICOTINELL FRESH TEETH Gum while you are breastfeeding, the gum should be chewed just after feeding and not during the two hours before feeding.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Effects on ability to drive and use machines
Driving and use of machines:
Smoking cessation may cause behavioural changes. At the recommended doses, there are no special risks associated with NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR 2 mg, medicated chewing gum.
List of excipients with a known effect
Important information about some of the ingredients of NICOTINELL FRESH TEETH 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum:
NICOTINELL FRESH MINT 2 mg chewing gum contains sorbitol, a source of fructose:
- if you know you are intolerant to certain sugars, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
The gum contains butylated hydroxytoluene (E321) which may cause local irritation of the oral mucosa.
Each NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR 2 mg gum contains sugars including 0.2 g of sorbitol (E420), a source of fructose (0.04 g / gum). The caloric intake is 1.0 Kcal / gum.
Each chewing gum contains 11.50 mg of sodium, to be taken into account by people on a low-salt diet.
3. HOW TO TAKE NICOTINELL FRESH MINT 2 mg SUGAR-FREE, medicated chewing gum
Instructions for proper use
Use NICOTINELL Chewing Gum as directed in the package insert. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice if you are not sure.
At initiation and throughout the course of treatment, complete cessation of smoking is necessary to increase your chances of success.
NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR gums are available in 2 doses: 2 mg and 4 mg. The right dose will depend on your smoking habits.
NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR 4 mg is recommended:
- for smokers who are strongly to very strongly addicted to nicotine,
- in case of failure after using the 2 mg dosage,
- if withdrawal symptoms remain strong with a risk of relapse.
In other cases, use 2 mg gums.
Choose the appropriate dosage using the table below
In case of adverse effects observed with the use of 4 mg gums, use the 2 mg gums.
Method of Administration
- Chew gum until the taste becomes strong.
- Then place the gum between your gum and cheek.
- Start chewing the gum again when the taste has faded
- Continue this process until the gum is completely dissolved (about 30 minutes)
DO NOT SWALLOW
Dosage, Method and/or route(s) of administration, Frequency of administration and Duration of treatment
Dosage in adults over 18 years of age:
Frequency of administration
Chew one gum each time you feel the need to smoke. In general, the starting dose should be 1 gum every 1 to 2 hours. The usual dose is 8 to 12 gums per day. Alternatively, chew one gum every time you feel the urge to smoke. The maximum dose of NICOTINELL MENTHE FRAICHEUR 2 mg is 25 gums per day.